Sunday, February 17, 2008

three cheers for drew

three cheers for drew
(for who?)
for drew
(why what did he do?)
i thought you knew

he sat still for a hair cutting!

the boy in the picture to the left is my nephew, andrew. he is on the autistim spectrum and haircuts have always been very difficult for him due to his heightened senses. he was with me this past friday and in need of a haircut. i thought i would try and give my sister a break and cut his hair for her. he did super!! he started kneeling on the ground and holding me for comfort, but then was able to transfer to a chair. he sat well for me UNTIL we came to cutting around his ears. i waited for him to be ready. he indicated that it was ok for me to cut around his ears, but still would defensively push my hands away if i tried to trim his hair. yes, i know i should've waited until he was asleep that night, but being the obssesive person that i am, i finally just held his hands down and trimmed around his ears. i had to hold him for the next 10 minutes as he cried and kept repeating: "tell me why?" i had to smile a little at that. we had a fun visit with him and especially evan was glad for the company as the girls are in utah and jake was at school.

p.s. andrew was watching himself cry in the mirror the whole time as well (i finally had to go into another room and read to him). gracie also loves to watch herself cry in the mirror; it drives pat crazy.

p.p.s. in case you don't know what i'm referring to at the top, here's the original A.A. Milne poem:

3 Cheers for Pooh!
(For Who?)
For Pooh-
(Why what did he do?)
I thought you knew;
He saved his friend from a wetting!
3 Cheers for Bear!
(For where?)
For Bear-
He couldn't swim,
But he rescued him!
(He rescued who?)
Oh, listen, do!
I am talking of Pooh-
(Of who?)
Of Pooh!
(I'm sorry I keep forgetting.)
Well, Pooh was a Bear of Enormous Brain
(Just say it again!)
Of enormous brain-
(Of enormous what?)
Well, he ate a lot,
And I don't know if he could swim or not,
But he managed to float
On a sort of boat
(On a sort of what?)
Well, a sort of pot-
So now let's give him three hearty cheers
(So now let's give him three hearty whiches?)
And hope he'll be with us for years and years,
And grow in health and wisdom and riches!
3 Cheers for Pooh!
(For who?)
For Pooh-
3 Cheers for Bear!
(For where?)
For Bear-
3 Cheers for the wonderful Winnie-the-Pooh!
(Just tell me, Somebody - WHAT DID HE DO?)
sort of sounds like a conversation you'd have with your three year old, eh?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm always amazed at people who can quote poetry. I love to hear the poems, although I somehow feel a little unrefined. I'm sure your sister appreciated one less haircut that she had to do.

P.S. I do love to rhyme even when it makes no sense, my poor children.

sorichfamily said...

april, you are so great! what a nice aunt (and mom) you are! i loved chatting with you today! thanks! it made my day! and..

...ps...i loved watching myself cry in the mirror too when i was young...very fascinating....

Tice said...

Congrats to Andrew on the hair-cutting!

natalie said...

Three cheers for April!!! Your sister must have been thrilled!
...so...when can Clee come over? Kidding!

ps, what's not to like about watching yourself cry in the mirror? Sounds like a good time to me.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."