Monday, February 25, 2008

oh happy day

reasons for me to smile:
  • the days are getting longer

  • today was especially sunny. (maybe living all those years in the west effected me more than i realized. i do love seeing the sun - just not humidity that all too often accompanies it here in the east. but sun and snow are quite a cheery combination.)

  • my GIRLS ARE BACK

  • the wonder, that is my sister-in-law annie, did a photo shoot with my girls while they were in utah.


below is a slide show of aformentioned photo shoot. it's rather long as there were too many good pictures. (i am glad that grace finally has nicely combed hair by the end.)










here are some of the hinckleys that the girls were visiting. (grace didn't take any pix, but luckily my sister-in-law sent some.)




final reasons to smile are these two gem of conversations that have happened with the girls since they've been home. (really it just takes one day to get such good fodder for my blog.)

setting #1: grace and lily have been told to go get in the pajamas. grace decides to change in downstairs bathroom.

grace (emphatically): "i'm changing by myself!"

lily (right behind her and just as empatically): "ME, TOO!" (pause) "can i come in?"

setting #2: we're in the car driving grace to school. vivaldi's "four seasons" is in the CD player.

lily: "this is little einstein's!"

me: "it's actually vivaldi, but you've heard it on little einstein's."

lily: "yeah, but it's little einstein's."

me: "it's vivaldi - actually it's the four seasons, and it was written by vivaldi."

grace: "can we listen to something else?"

lily: "yeah, but it's little einstein's"

i think i might have tried to explain to her one more time that it was written by someone called vivaldi, but i gave up. the good news is that she kept requesting it (especially one section that i believe is suppose to represent winter over and over.) the bad news is that when we listened to spring/opening part, i kept hearing the lyrics: "oh yes, oh yes it's springtime!" i'd prefer no lyrics going through my head, but luckily the part that she loved didn't have any word associations for me. while i don't think little einstein's improves my children's IQ, i do like that it has classical music in it. and i did learn (might be too strong of a word here) wagner from bugs bunny.

12 comments:

Scrappycook said...

Those photos of your girls are GORGEOUS!

jennah said...

I'm glad the girls are home safe and sound. That must feel good. Great pics of them were certainly had! Almost makes the missing worth the while huh? But theres nothing like the family all being back together again.

herb said...

I don't know what it is about little kids in black and white photos, but I really like those.

I'm sure you're glad you have your girls back, but let's check back in in a week or two!

Tice said...

Love the pictures. I'm glad Lily's back to give you some classic Hinckley blog fodder.

Kayla said...

great pics. Avery has done the same thing with the little einsteins and classical music! especially vivaldi! THe other day she even picked out the first part of spring on the piano (i was way impressed) and then told me she could play the little einsteins. too funny these kids. hey, at least their ears are tuning into the classics right?

Elizabeth said...

I loved the pictures of the girls, especially the one with both of them. I'm glad they're back, I imagine you feel complete now. Great Spring blog, I love all the flowers and tree blooms that are appearing all over the place. It even rained hard last night and it just makes them stand out even more!

natalie said...

Cute pictures! I'm glad you have your girls back April!

Amanda said...

how fun to have them home. I'm sure they had a great time with all the family! Those pictures of Lily are amazing. They completely capture her personality!

sorichfamily said...

LOVE all the pictures!! how fun! i still treasure the ones Annie did for us!! she is totally amazing! i'm so glad your girlies are finally there! it IS like a little part of you is missing when they are gone! have a fun week settling back into your routines!

Amber Culp Family said...

The pix of the girls are absolutly beautiful. I will admit, looking at them brought a tear to my eye. Nothing like sisterly love.

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

I know you missed your girls when they were away. It's good to have them back, isn't it? :)

Love the beautiful pictures!

Jim and Amy said...

The pics of Grace and Lily are absolutely gorgeous!! Annie really has a knack for getting great photos.

As the weather goes, be grateful you don't live in the Pacific Northwest anymore..... The months of continuous gray skies bother me every year!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."