Friday, October 3, 2008

pray tell me

when, pray tell me, did i get so old that my doctor would just casually ask during a physical if i've had a mammogram??!! what?? are you kidding me??!! she explained that "they" recommend you have a mammogram by age forty as a baseline, but i am 3 1/2 (practically 4 - well, not really - but not quite 3 1/2 yet either) glorious years away from that dreaded number (30 really wasn't bad, but i have mixed feelings about 40). so i think i will be waiting a little while before i do that rite of passage.

i also had some regular blood work done and i am secretly hoping that they call back and tell me how low my thyroid is and give me medicines to just zap all this extra weight away. (i don't really want health problems; it's just sounds like a nice thought sometimes.) most likely, i will have to lose the weight the good old-fashioned way. more on this later.

6 comments:

Scrappycook said...

I started on the mammograms when I was 32 so they are old hat now. If they find out anything about thyroid medicine that can zap 40 pounds off of my body, sign me up!

april said...

well, maybe if i had regular physicals instead of say every 6-7 years i would have heard this question before and not been so freaked out by it. it's just something i've always seen as a fortysomething thing and not quite ready to admit how close i am getting to that. silly, but true.

Stace said...

At least you have breasts to talk about. Maybe they would have asked me by now too if I looked like I had any curves there. ha, ha

Kayla said...

i didn't think it was needed until 40! your dr. and mine should get together as he seems to think that 'approching 30' is old......

Amanda said...

Oh my. Well, these days it's probably better to be safe right?

You look awesome. And hello, you are running 13 miles this weekend! I'm so proud of you! Eat a yummy pasta dinner on Friday night for me!

Lindsey said...

I have to agree with your friend Stacie. At least you have breasts to BE mammogrammed! :) Good luck with the thyroid problem. You're so funny, April!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."