Saturday, October 25, 2008

eleven

side note - when i was 11, i was at an amusement park with my grandparents. i chose to race the purple airplane (lavendar was my fave color at the time. this was the only time in my life where my favorite color wasn't green; it didn't last for more than a year). well, that plane must have been broken because i kept winning. and every time you won, you got to exchange for a bigger stuffed animal. since i was there with my grandparents not my parents, they kept paying for me to play until i had the biggest purple gorilla in my possession. there was also quite a big line behind my airplane by the time i was finished. the number of the airplane was 11 and ever since then it has been my favorite number.

the purpose of this post though is to recap the past eleven days, so without further rambling (although some bullets do tend to ramble), i give you highlights from the past 11 days:

  1. had a school team meeting for jake in which i had to bring fritz. i had the bright idea that if i dropped lily off at preschool at the top of main street, and then made fritzy walk down the, let's say, 11 blocks to jake's school that he would be tired/exhausted (i.e. sit still for meeting). well, after several pulling on legs, laying down on pavement moments, i ended up carrying him most of the way. not one of my more brilliant moves.
  2. paid $314 vet bill for a regular check-up ($150 of that was buying ahead on basic medicines and another $50 or so for vaccines). also took jake to his physiatrist which he has seen on a monthly basis since he had his baclofen pump put in last december. we are finally at the right levels and don't have to seem the physiatrist again to february. yeah!
  3. attended a big conference at perkins school for the blind about education of visually impaired and/or multi-handicapped kids. (once again, i now want to move to massachusettes so that jake can go to this school.) the key note speaker was a deaf/blind teacher from texas. she was amazing. maybe not the most organized speaker, but every other sentence was a pearl of wisdom. i could have listened to her all day.
  4. had two speech sessions for fritz. he's just talking more and more. some of my faves are when he comes in and says: "what you doing, mommy?", "i found ______" (whenever he sees something he wants to point out to you), "blankie gone." (said very dramatically and is his way of saying "where are my blankies?"), singing the alphabet song and, of course, the ever present "thank you, mommy" which is very clear now and whose charm comes mainly from the frequency and mundaneness of some of the things i do that warrant his thanks.
  5. found a new book club to join and attended my first meeting.
  6. got the whole family all dressed up for a spectacular halloween party.
  7. had to pull over about six times on a drive to my parents house because our van's fuel filter was clogged and it kept losing power. had to then leave my van in new york to be fixed and drove my dad's mazda 5 with satellite radio home. this was then my car for the next three days. became a huge fan of satellite radio. i especially loved the broadway channel and had fun remebering some songs i hadn't heard for years. (really, stacey, how could i have forgotten about "anthem" from chess. i think i'll start making itune download requests to pat.)
  8. took my youngest two kids to dondero orchards for apple picking and warm cider donuts. i heart. fall.
  9. started eating sugar (other than my lindt truffle reward) again. i do have a rule that i can't have one of my lindt truffle balls if i've eaten sugar that day. it's amazing how i really will hold off on sugar some days so i can have my truffle. and now at least when i eat my truffles, it's only one rather than three or so. i'm considering this progress. now if i could only convince my scale that it's progress too.
  10. was a little surprised that pat offered to take the girls to high school musical 3 (they went this afternoon.) but when he got home and said the best parts of the movie were seeing clips of wasatch mountains, i understood better.
  11. celebrated the birthday of a one year old and 30 year old (both of whom are very dear to me). at the 30 year old's celebration, we tried to re-enact that charlie's angels pose. the results were pretty good, but i'm feeling the need to perfect this shot. i might be making my friends continue to pose for me. kudos to tice natalie d. for having such a straight face.

7 comments:

natalie said...

Who are those hawt ladies??? Ha! You've certainly had an eventful past 11 days... At least you tried the no sugar thing for awhile, more than I could do.
I partly agree with Pat about HSM3, it was nice seeing the mountains, football field, bb court, commons area... oh he only mentioned the mountains, right...
We've been listening to that soundtrack all week, it was nice to see the songs in action.
I think I've heard you talk about this school in Mass a while ago, right? It does sound fantastic if it's the same one.

Tice said...

That celebration was good times. Sounds like you need a vacation from the past 11 days. We saw HSM3 here in Chicago yesterday. Ellie was perched on the edge of her seat the entire time. I was, I'm sure, more into it than Pat but I did enjoy seeing the mountains and I was doing my best to see any of the Univ of Utah that may have ended up in the background.

Scrappycook said...

Ahhh, Anthem from Chess - LOVE that song! Don't forget Someone Else's Story - another Chess classic. My girlfriend has satellite radio and it is always on the Broadway channel. I have radio envy.
Speaking on envy, I cannot find a descent warm cider donut anywhere in the state.

april said...

@scrappycook - i just relistened to "someone else's story." i had forgotten about that one too (and
i know him so well"). so much fun re-listening. i almost bought the album for $5.99 on itunes, but then i remembered liking a british recording better, and then the reviews on the british itunes album weren't good, then i read that idina menzel (YEAH!) and josh groban (blah!) recorded a concert in may of chess songs and that a cd might be due out next year. what to do? i just might wait for idina menzel. maybe i'll have pat buy me "miss saigon" to keep me happy until then.

susan m hinckley said...

April, I love your blog more every time I read it. I really look forward to it because it is always entertaining and I get to see your kids. Next time I see them in person, they won't seem like strangers to me! (although I'll still be a stranger to them . . .) Still, this blogging thing is giving me such a lovely glimpse into your family, I hope you never stop.

Happy Lizards said...

I love your family picture on your blog! Did you have it professionally done? It is priceless! Also, I love the poses of Charlies Angels! I remember you talking about it when I was out there a couple of weeks ago. Finally, I just want to say you are my running inspiration! You are my hero! I think of you running the 1/2 marathon and it brings a smile to my face! I'll be back next year and I'm happy to hear that you will too! Love ya!

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

Yes April, Charlie's angels are doing it much better this time! Good job girls! :)

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."