Wednesday, January 23, 2008

word for the year

thought i'd better post my word for the year before january was over. thanks, amanda, for the challenge.

And the word is...

remember

verb [in other words, will require action on my part]

1. recall knowledge from memory; have a recollection;

2. keep in mind for attention or consideration;

3. recapture the past; indulge in memories;

4. show appreciation to;

5. mention favorably, as in prayer;

6. mention as by way of greeting or to indicate friendship; i.e. "Remember me to your wife"

7. exercise, or have the power of, memory;

8. call to remembrance; keep alive the memory of someone or something, as in a ceremony;

  • i went back and forth between remember and gratitude. so first off, i want to remember my blessings more (maybe try to gripe/complain 10% less of the time - and yes, chelsea, i do complain).
  • remember my resolutions (i have them written in a paper on the front of my journal).
  • remember to say please and thank you especially when i'm trying to get all four kids out the door on my own.
  • remember each moment with my children is a gift. each moment is a gift. i read these words today: "tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old".
  • remember to record (one of my resolutions is to write in my journal 15 times per month).
  • remember to count to 10 when i feel that temper start to rise inside me.
  • remember the good times in my life more and the bad times less. be more forgiving.
  • remember those who have gone before me both in my family and in the scriptures. learn from their lives and examples.
  • remember to smile and laugh daily.
  • remember my motto for the year: "two-thou-sand-and-eight: it's-gon-na-be-great!" (cheesy, but needed after some hardships from 2007. i'm very grateful for the start of a new year.)

6 comments:

chaffinclan said...

April-
I love your word of the year. I think I shall adopt it as my own.

chaffinclan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
natalie said...

"Remember" is a great choice for word of the year!
I love your motto for the year, I'll have to "remember" it!

jennah said...

Simple and beautiful. I love your word. We all need to be "reminded" to "remember". Re(expressing intensive force) Memor (mindful)(latin).

Amanda said...

Hooray! That's a great word and you will be doing great things with it I know! I love the new look of your blog and the pic of your cute kids in matching sweaters!!

laina kay said...

Read about the word of the year at this blog. What a great idea! I love your choice. Remember... that's one that hits on just about everything I'd like to work on in my life. I'd just have to remember to remember! Good idea to put it in the front of your journal, though I never remember to write in a journal! : )

Love your pretty new blog look!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."