Sunday, January 13, 2008

gifts of christmas

christmas eve and day were spent at my parents' house in new york. i kept my goal of staying in my jammies all day (even when i traveled to my sister's place to exchange gifts with my mom AND when i traveled back home later that day).


the best gift i received for christmas was probably a nap while my brother-in-law made a very, yummy dinner. other great gifts (since i took so many pics of people opening presents) were as follows:

1. an ipod from my dad and stepmom which i am loving more than i would have guessed. i keep listening to it while i do dishes or other stuff around the house. i have been caught dancing along to the music, but have been lucky enough to not belt out in song while others are around (although really, it's just a matter of time before that happens).

2. pat got a really nice knife from my opa, my brother and me, and i was impressed with the amount of expression he showed in the picture (below) when he opened it. that's unusual for pat; thanks, jim, for the great suggestion and help.

3. gracie refers to the shirt i her got as a prison shirt.

4. in a truly ironic twist, my dad picked out the best clothing items that were exchanged: namely, the cute doggie jammies that evan is wearing (sorry i don't have a better picture) and a beautiful scarf that he got in india (no picture-sorry). dad also bought the toffee on a business trip to england. thornton's toffee is always a fave of mine.




5. my brother received this swanking (is that a word?) suit.



6. pat's parents made a donation to Heifer International in our name. this organization provides livestock and training to struggling families throughout the world in an attempt to help them be more self-reliant for food and income.
7. time with my family was a great gift. it was especially nice to see my brother and his wife. we also had a FABULOUS time gathering with most of my aunts and uncles (no pictures again). i truly have an amazing extended family and i appreciate their generosity. we wish we were closer to pat's family and are looking forward to the hinckley reunion next summer.
as always, i was grateful for the chance to reflect on the greatest gift of all: the birth, life and resurrection of our Savior. this has was especially tender this year with the loss of pat's niece and my uncle in 2007.
"How great the joy this sentence gives: I know that My Redeemer Lives."
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

liza said...

i think the word you are looking for is "swanky." i learned that one from brad. love the suit!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."