Thursday, August 16, 2007

maryland

sunday night, we returned home from our trip to my aunt's house in maryland. we had a wonderful time relaxing, reconnecting with family and, of course, riding. here are some of the highlights:

horses

you probably live under a rock if you don't know by now that my 8 year old is obsessed with horses. lucky for her, my aunt pam and cousin brittany are too. there were lots of pony rides in the ring and grace got to do a trail ride with my cousin (pictured above). in this town in maryland, you have to let horses ride on your property.

neighbor's party

we arrived in time for their neighbor's annual bash (for approx. 400 people). we went to the beautiful house pictured above, rode a hot air balloon, swam in beautiful surroundings, ate yummy food, danced to blue grass music and watched a darn good fireworks display. i especially liked the yard bug spray on each table; i thought it was a nice touch.

baltimore

on wednesday, we took the kids to a fantastic children's museum in baltimore. they made silly puddy, sang karoke, climbed a three story array of slides & tunnels, matched shapes on a conveyor belt (lily's fave), explored, built, felt, etc... one idea that i'd like to let my kids do at home was letting the kids "paint" a rock with just a paintbrush and water. (sorry i forgot my camera for this outing as well as most of the pony rides. i just wasn't thinking about my blog enough.)

bubble baths

my aunt had a ton of bubble bath that she wanted the kids to try and use up. they sure had fun trying; but in the end, we took the bottles home with us.

other highlights: audrey hepburn movies with my cousin britt, movies and a stimulating game of monopoly (which i won), late nights talking with the girls after my kids were in bed, lots of animals (the ultimate highlight for my kids), the random sound of air wicks spraying (the air wicks were on the walls throughout the house; you had to be careful that the one of the front door didn't spray you in the eye when you were getting your shoes on.), the freaky feeling everytime my aunt and i do something similar (trust me, we even scare her kids.), the beauty and peace of being in the country.

No comments:

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."