Saturday, August 25, 2007

better years

here's a picture of my uncle ken before he was sick. we went out for a visit in 2003 and took the kids (i only had two then) to disneyland. he loved this picture of gracie on his shoulders. she still has a copy of it in her room.

ken would've loved the funeral. his good friend, who is a capuchine friar, started the service. his words were very comforting and he wasn't afraid to add a little humor when he spoke about his personal relationship with ken. my cousins were next and then they accompanied a friend of kenny who sang an emmy lou harris song. then my uncle walt spoke, read some emails people sent him and opened up the floor for anyone who wanted to speak. it was great to hear from so many of kenny's friends and how kenny had touched their lives. it was a very uplifting service.

check out my uncle's artwork here.

4 comments:

natalie said...

What a cute picture! Sounds like it was a wonderful service. His artwork is amazing!
We love you April!

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

I thought you uploaded the funeral video from home so I figured you were back already, but Pat told me you won’t be home until tomorrow. The funeral sounded so beautiful and personal… and I love the picture! Have I ever told you that Gracie has your smile?

Blake Shirley said...

Im so sorry to hear of your uncles passing. I remember you speaking of him and know how special he was to you. Im glad the funeral was something he would have enjoyed and graced with a touch of humor. Im glad you have such pictures of him to enjoy and remember him by. jennah

Scrappycook said...

Ape - I am sorry to hear about the passing of your uncle. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. It sounds like the service was beautiful.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."