Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my morning

warning: this post contains graphic content.

4:00 am wake up to fritz vomiting. clean up sheets and go back to bed. (amazingly, fritz wasn't a mess. tried to brush his teeth without success as he was already trying to go back to sleep.)

4:30 am hear jake over the monitor. come downstairs and start to tell him how it is too early to wake up (he's been struggling with the time change still) only to see when i come in his room that he is in the middle of vomiting. clean up jake.

4:45 am bathe jake. get him re-dressed. put him in his wheelchair and start giving him pedialyte through his feeding tube pump.

5:00 am lily gets up and has had an accident in her bed. change lily and put mary poppins on for her.

5:15 am take a shower.

5:30 am clean mattress. put bedding with vomit in the washing machine (on sanitary cycle).

5:45 am make gracie's lunch for school and finish dishes from last night.

6:00 am fritz wakes up.

6:15 am fritz starts with diarrhea.

6:30 am bathe a screaming fritz and wake up grace for school.

6:45 am get everyone breakfast

6:55 am watch grace go off to school. call jake's bus company to say he won't be going to school today.

7:00 am write this post while fritz and lily are both in my lap and arguing over who gets to play with jake's new ball that he got for his birthday.

sounds like a promising day, eh? actually on days like this, i always think: "some days are like that, even in australia." if you don't know what that means, then you must read this; (it's one of my faves).

for the record, this is my second morning in a row with a 4 am wake-up call. at least yesterday's wake-up call didn't include any vomit.

post script - 7:10 am jake throws up again. change his shirt and wipe down wheelchair and floor. start wondering if i have enough clean towels to make it through the day.

7 comments:

PerkinsClan said...

My sympathies are with you. :(

Kayla said...

I agree, days are like that even in australia. just call the day a wash (literally) don't plan on getting anything else done and keep that washing machine going! Just keep those kids hydrated! last year was our year of the stomach bugs, i think it ran it's course through our family 4-5 times in 3-4 months. i've never seen or cleaned up so much puke! ugh! thankfully we've been nice and healthy for this autumn. good luck today, and hopefully you stay healthy!

natalie said...

I hate those kind of mornings. :( Hang in there.

Scrappycook said...

Gotta love being a mom huh? Did you get a nap at any point? Is there any anti-vomit medicine with a sleep suppressant?

Ash & Tim said...

Oh dear -what a day I don't know if I would be alive at 4 am. Loved the book comment -that is one of my favorite books I used to read it all the time. I would even read it to my middle school kids they loved it. I am hoping that what sounds like a stomach bug goes away soon. Best of luck.

susan m hinckley said...

Wow, April. Just wow. Oh yes, also about Australia -- that's something I've said to my kids their entire lives! Judith Viorst is my hero. I hope your day improved.

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

I hope both Jake and Evan are feeling better and the rest of your family - STAY HEALTHY!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."