Saturday, May 30, 2009

family day & the wonders of facebook

before we headed off to family day for pat's work today, i remorsed on facebook about how i would be missing our friends who usually join us for family day, but currently live in japan. anyhoo, scott (the dad) read that statement a mere 6 minutes later and called to say he was in town on business. he was able to come with us. we had a blast even though we missed his family dearly. -APRIL, COLLEEN, BRIDGET & ASHLYNN - wish you could have been there too!!

here's a pic of scott with jake. scott was one of jake's first teachers at church when we moved to ct seven years ago.

lily was first on the bungee jump swing. here she is ready to take off.


the rest of us waiting for our turn. (note the scowl on gracie's face. she thinks it the greatest injustice that i tend to make the older child wait and the younger ones go first).


lily in mid-air.


fritz, all geared up.




fritz in the air. if you look up from him and a little over to the left, you can see grace doing a flip.





i have absolutely no idea how much cotton candy my kids consumed this year. it's all they asked for; their wish was often granted. other times, a certain 5 year old would just sneak to the cotton candy booth while we thought she was playing in the playground.


ready for the rock wall.

lily did really well on the wall and actually climbed up a good distance for her age.

first swim of the season.



so, exactly how much cotton candy was consumed? ...enough to totally hide gracie's face, multiple times...
...enough to make a beard...
...and enough to make your kids go like this the minute you get in the car.
truth be told, there are lots of actions shots of me today; i played volleyball, did the bungee swing, climbed the rock wall and flipped off the diving board. another little or rather large truth would be that i've gained 40 lbs since i went to family day last may. it's still kind of schock when i see current pictures of myself with all the extra padding. so when we got home and downloaded pics, the plethora of pics of overweight me in so many mid-air shots had me in stitches from laughter - just imagine a beached whale trying to do a back flip in the water. (now i know fat jokes are not appropriate and i steer away from them - but it's ok, when you're talking about yourself, right?) while i got a good laugh out of those pics, i'm not humble enought to post them. this one pic of me almost reaching the top of the rock wall was actually decent (or rather hid my weight) enough to post.
oh, and come next spring, if i haven't lost the weight, will someone please remind me to try and restrain myself on the diving board? thanks.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kayla said...

oh that looks like they had so much fun. as for YOU -- when I scrolled that first picture of you with the kids, I thought how ADORABLE you look with your short hair! No weight noticed! I seriously love your cut! I'm getting ready to chop mine this week. Can't wait!

natalie said...

You my dear are being *way* too hard on yourself. Stop it! ;) I loved the picture of you on the rock climb. Holla! You're so boss! :)
I think its so neat of Pat's company to do that for it's employees. Looks like so much fun!

laina kay said...

It's such a great time isn't it!? I, too, lost count of how many trips my children made to the cotton candy tent! Eh, it's such a special treat and they get such a kick out being allowed to have more than one that it's worth the sugar overload.

I'm so impressed how high you are on the rock climbing wall. I'm too wimpy to even attempt it! I even woosed (sp?) out on the bungee jump this year! Maybe next year...

As for the comments on weight, I thought you looked great. Your haircut is so cute and I loved your bright green shirt. I do know what you mean though when you have an idea of what you look like in your head and then you see photos and they just don't jive. I'm soooo in that boat right now.

Just got your email this morning btw. I didn't touch the computer all weekend. Glad we caught up with you at the picnic anyway!

susan m hinckley said...

As always, the good mom award goes to . . . April! Your family always looks like they're having so much fun! And you have many years (i.e. your 40's and 50's) to worry about diets. Just have fun with your kids! When my kids were your kids' ages, I was 40+ pounds heavier, too. And I didn't want them to always remember me "being on a diet." Hope that helps?

Lindsey said...

What an amazing day! And, for the record, my strong vote is that weight or no weight, you always get in to swim with your kids. They don't care in the slightest how your figure looks mid-backflip...they just love that you're in there with them. What a great mom. You rock!

Peggy said...

Seriously, the shot of you on the rock climbing wall is inspiring! You did that! Awesome.

And, I think we're slowly getting somewhere with the signing in Sacrament idea. I'm so glad you suggested it. I'm learning a lot of patience though.

I just caught-up on the Perkins blog. I hope Erika is on the mend.

laina kay said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my post about Spencer. Your prayers are much appreciated.

Hope to see you soon!? Maybe Picnic in the Park sometime.

Take care.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."