Friday, April 3, 2009

april fool's

we had a fun april fool's day. i made this mock sushi to celebrate, but opted for no pranks. (much to my dad's dismay, i'm sure. my father attended a college known for its grand scale pranks, and was seriously proud when i almost inadvertently incurred a $200 fine for one of my college pranks at byu. his parents actually paid $200 worth of damages for one of his pranks while he was in college, but that's a story for another day.)
the sushi was actually rice krispies treats with gummy worms in side and a fruit roll-up wrapped around it.
something only the kids would enjoy. (i ate just the rice krispy part.)

when grace came home from school, she declared how happy she was that i hadn't said what i always say on april fool's day yet. i went totally blank on what she could be talking about and after pestering her for a while she finally told me. yes, she was so right. i almost always walk around on april fool's day saying "it is my day to fool everyone else. no one can try to fool me." it's a good thing that i didn't say that this year as amanda totally fooled me. i'm actually embarassingly gullible as was evident when i tried to make this thai soup recipe last night. i couldn't find the thai seasoning that the recipe called for. after doing some research, i found that fish sauce was a common ingredient in thai food; so i bought it and tried to make my own variety of the soup. i was extremely gullible to think that i would tolerate fish sauce in a meal when i dislike fish. i used half the amount the recipe called for and still felt like i needed to drink a whole bottle of pepto bismal 2 hours later. luckily, i hadn't put the chicken and veggies in yet, so i just dumped the soup down the drain and started over with a tried and true mexican recipe i like. so anyone (who lives near me) want some fish sauce?

oh, and to conclude, i thought i would put a pic of my april's fool. (zucchini courtesy of my sister's garden).
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Scrappycook said...

I love the fake sushi idea - we may have to try that! No April Fool's jokes around here - thank goodness!

natalie said...

Ha. I love your take on April fools. Emme was faking me out all day, and when I tried to trick her? I got nothin'. :(

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."