Wednesday, December 3, 2008

thanksgiving weekend

we had a nice thanksgiving weekend. i made dinner this year for all three of my parents and my sister's family. everything turned out well except the turkey that i planned on taking four hours (max.) to cook took 5 1/2 hours. lucky there had been plenty of appetizers and everyone was patient. there is something very satisfying to me in cooking a big meal for everyone (must be my italian lineage). i did decide to wear my 2 1/2 inch leather boots (hey, they matched my outfit) and proclaimed how excited i was to take them off after the pie was served. to which grace responded: "mom, you didn't have to wear them, you know." i also did what i thought was impossible by not being able to finish my third piece of pecan pie (don't worry i did it in three settings - one day, but three different settings). but i can't think of a better way to spend thanksgiving than overstuffing myself with homemade pecan pie. yum.

"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not…mmmmm, boy!” -Jack Handey

friday morning was spent shopping the sales; (luckily my brother in the pacific time zone, i.e. 3 hours earlier, decided to shop too and was therefore actually awake when i called him 8 am eastern time.) then on saturday night, my stepmom and i took my sister to see "twilight" for her birthday. (wendy, i would tease you about your age right now if it wasn't practically owning up to my own age on my blog).

anyhoo, i painted my nails red in honor of seeing the movie. must say, i enjoyed it. yes, some lines fell a little flat, and sometimes angry vampire translated into "looks like he's constipated" vampire. but as in the books, the romance won me over in the end.

there were no "twilight" posters, so we chose to stand by this "bloody valentine 3-D" poster.
this picture illustrates why i've never thought of myself as photogenic. the woman in my family always take great pics and then there's me.

4 comments:

natalie said...

That Jack Handey is one wise man. :D

Scrappycook said...

I went to see Twilight with Bryan and it was not so good. He laughed in all of the wrong spots - like anytime Edward said something romantic and protective. I feel like I need to see it again with girlfriend so I can swoon all I want and not feel foolish.

Kayla said...

sounds like a great day. tell grace that I also cook and spend the day in high heel boots (that is until now when i'm so swollen i can't handle it) but normally i think fashion trumps all so it's worth it! and admit, how cute did you feel cooking in your fab boots?

Amy said...

When I went to see it with Michael he was so cute. Right when the movie started he said " I love Edward." The lady behind us said "me too". It was fun to see with my mom and with Michael. i want to see it again.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."