Tuesday, December 2, 2008

a little sad

just heard that elder joseph b. wirthlin passed away. he was a leader of my church who gave some talks that have been a source of great comfort to me in recent years. it's a little ironic in that i recently had the thought that i should go back and read some of his older talks since i keep enjoying his new talks so much. i guess that will have to pacify me since there will not be any more greatness coming from this good man in this life. (he was 91 and his wife had preceeded him in death by four years.)

you can find some of his talks here and especially here.

3 comments:

natalie said...

Sad indeed. I really enjoyed his talk he gave during conference this past October. I was touched when he talked about his autistic grandson and said "while there have been challenges, he has filled our lives with joy". It was a blessing to me to hear those words. He was definitely a great man.

Amy said...

I was reading an email from my disfunctional sister in law when news of Elder Wirthlin's passing popped up on my screen. It was said, but we know he's in a great place. Did you get a picture with him at the JSMB dinner on our mission? I have one. And that's the only apostle I have one with even though I was blessed to meet many while serving.

april said...

boy, i don't remember hearing him speak on the mission at all. did i miss it? when did you go to the field (fall or winter)? i can believe that i totally forgot meeting him

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."