Thursday, September 20, 2007

fly on the wall

if you were a fly on the wall of our house this past week, here are some of the things you might have heard. (WARNING: some material has mature content).

LILY (to me, as i'm changing jake's diaper and getting him dressed for school): "Mommy, what kind of bummy does jacob have?"
ME: "What?"
LILY: "Does he have a peanut?"
ME: (finally understanding) "It's actually called a _______, but you can call it peanut if you'd like."
LILY: "Daddy, Evan and Japie have peanuts. Mommy, Gigi and Lily have bummies."

nothing earthshattering in this conversation; just thought it was cute. i have no idea where lily got the word, peanut, but it works for me. when grace was little i had been told to teach your kids correct terms. then there was the day that we are walking into a preschool for my nephew's "graduation" ceremony, and gracie is yelling: "mommy, my underwear is up my v____!" i responded by saying in a prim and proper voice: "gracie, the correct way to say that is: 'i have a wedgie.'" emily post would be so proud! since then i don't hide the correct term from my kids, but i'm certainly fine with ample use of nicknames for private parts. with lily, i've tried to refer to everything in that area as bummy. i'm not sure how well that will work with evan.



[LOTS OF AIR POPPING NOISES] as Pat tries to squeeze the last of the honey unto his sandwich. Gracie and I happen to be standing near him.
ME: "Excuse you, Pat!"
GRACIE: (after much thought) "Or maybe that was the honey!"



LILY: (at the dinner table) "Why is evan eating?"
PAT: "Why are you eating?"
LILY: "Because i'm hungry and my bummy is telling me it wants food."

maybe i need to scale back on referring to the mid-section of the body as "bummy"??



ME: (to Pat) "You don't agree with me?"
PAT: "No"
ME: "Well, ...i agree with myself."

(i have no recollection of what we were talking about.)



ME: (lamenting) "Where has my baby gone?"

10 comments:

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

Lily…she is such a cutie, always makes me laugh! :)

P.S. I am wondering about the same thing… should I teach my kid the correct terms, or just the “nicknames”?

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

Oh, and Gracie, that was the honey dear...

natalie said...

Your agreement conversation with Pat reminds me of something I would say to Fiel. I've never heard the term"bummies" before-very original!

jennah said...

so funny! and thats only the stuff you remember. oh to be a fly on your wall. i can so imagine you responding in exactly that way as you corrected gracie. hilarious.

Amanda said...

I can't decide which conversation I like better! These are so great. I would LOVE to be a fly on your walls!!

laina kay said...

Hilarious! Thanks for the chuckles, I loved it! I also agree with myself on a regular basis... I'm so with you on this one!

Elizabeth said...

I believe in teaching correct names as well, however I have had some embarrassing moments too! Let me just say we were in an airplane and there was no chance of escape.
I love the conversations, I always think I will never forget and then I eventually do, it's great you write them down.

Kayla said...

Okay, this post is killing me. I have my own Avery/private parts terminology stories. Two I will never forget. They are too funny. I love what Lily said. I think I'll have to email you Avery's -- at around 2-1/2 she got into 'nicknaming' and shortening the terms...soo funny.

chaffinclan said...

April, that agreement conversation...I can hear your voice in my head as I'm reading it and I almost fell off my chair with laughter!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

April!! So fun to find your blog! Long time no see. This post made me LOL big time! The husband thinks I'm crazy! You never failed to crack me up, and now you can keep doing it! Wahoo!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."