Wednesday, August 13, 2008

hinckley happenings

time to get back to blogging (actually it's "past" time). i have a lot to write about, but for now here are some of the happenings of late.


1. the other day, i overhear grace singing, "zip-pa doo da, zip-pa dee ay" and ask her about it. to which she replied it's a new miley cyrus song and that miley cyrus wrote it!

2. one night, lily referred to toasted marshmellows as "fire mushrooms" when she wanted to make some s'mores.

3. one night, we walked to a nearby McDonalds for ice cream sundaes. my mom was with us and i took the opportunity to tell one of my favorite jokes. (how do you find ronald mcdonald at a nudist beach? he's the one with the sesame seed buns.) we commented on the appropriate the setting was for the joke which confused grace. we come to find out that after laughing and occasionally telling this joke for a few years, grace had no idea who ronald mcdonald was or got the punchline. it was fun to see the real giggles that ensued when we explained the joke to her.

4. the following pictures are my proof it wasn't the mailman. lily loves to look at magazines which is something her dad does too (actually he reads most of his). i like the photos of them together doing this. a bonus picture of evan sharing his dad's ipod (another thing pat loves to do).






that's all i can remember for now. i'll take a cue from lara, and give you a list of future posts to look forward to:

#1 tribute to mike
#2 going west
#3 hinckleys reunited
#4 meeting baby ian and baby jane
#5 the school bus
#6 nana's (and brian's) garden
#7 st. louis
#8 summer fun
#9 katherine's pics of our family
#10 my mom's birthday
#11 tagged

p.s. did anyone else get sucked into the olympics? after watching some of that absolutely amazing opening ceremonies, i continued to watch and then after that men's relay swim race where the amerincans weren't favored to win and then won the gold, i find that i'm hooked.

5 comments:

herb said...

It also proofs it wasn't me, because I read all my magazines while sitting in a small and unlit room by myself! I do enjoy car magazines, though....

Jake and Chelsea said...

hahaha, me? run a half marathon? i can't even run around the block. although that is so kind of you to ask! what city are you guys in? we should definitely get together soon!

laina kay said...

Glad you're back!

I'm totally sucked into the Olympics. I watch something from it each night. Love the gymnastics and diving. I get sucked in every Olympic year, even though I never think I will. I'm disappointed that I missed the opening ceremonies, I hear they were spectacular.

"Fire mushrooms!" So, totally, what they look like! Love it!

natalie said...

I'm looking forward to all of your upcoming posts! Can't wait to see your family pictures.

Amanda said...

we are totally sucked into the olympics. it's been so much fun to see all the athlete bios and see parts of China.

great pictures of your kids bonding with Pat.

glad you are back blogging again!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."