Saturday, April 5, 2008

remembering grandpa jim

march 8th, my grandpa's ashes were laid to rest and a memorial service was held for him. it was a cold and rainy day; one of my uncle's played a recording of bagpipes playing "amazing grace" at the grave side. another uncle, who is a former minister, led the graveside service.

we then gathered at my aunt's church where my dad had set up a display on my grandpa. it was fun to see all the old pictures and hold the book his colleagues in the military had signed all those years ago. later, in the warmth of that church, we shared memories of my grandpa. it was fun to be reminded of his determination (which at times translated to stubbornness), sense of humor and intelligence. i found out that he used to read the New York Times with a red marker so he could correct the errors and then he would send them in. my dad displayed a letter from the New York Times editor in which the body of the letter contained one word: touche! another fun story was the time in alaska when he wrestled with a 40 - 60 lb fish for 45 minutes only to find out the fishing pole line was entangled with the anchor of the little boat they were on. the fish had given up earlier and who knows how long he was wrestling with the anchor.

the final thought i'll share is the quote that is on my grandparents guest bathroom. it reads:
before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
that way, if they get upset, they're a mile away and barefoot.

4 comments:

herb said...

Those are some fun memories of your Opa! I love that saying.

Elizabeth said...

What great memories! What a great quote, he must have had a great sense of humor.

natalie said...

I love the quote at the end April!

Amanda said...

Those are sweet memories! Correcting the NY Times...and that they wrote back!

Good quote. I'll try to remember that one.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."