Thursday, March 6, 2008

all in the family

one year, i got my sister a birthday card that said: "Happy Birthday, Sis, ...so which of mom's traits are you going to try and hide this year?" in that vein, may i present the hinckley (+others) quotables for the past couple of months:

Lily proclaimed: "Evan Jean Hinckley" as she ran after him down the hall at church when evan was being disruptive. (in case you don't know, jean is her middle name, not his.)

while i'm in the kitchen making dinner, i hear lily repeatedly saying "that's me" to pat as the opening for a Hannah Montanna DVD plays. i come in after the third "that's me" and ask pat if she is pointing to the character "lily" who is hannah's best friend. yes, indeed she was. is that why she loves the show so much?

grace: "mom, what's the name of that song from wicked."
me: "i'm not sure, but hopefully, i'll be getting the soundtrack for valentine's day and then i could tell you."
pat (who is near me in the kitchen): "so you want the wicked soundtrack for valentine's day?"
(yea, i know, so subtle. pat took the hint though and i am happy that wicked is now on my ipod.)

grace: "dad, back away from the table and do not eat anymore candy until i'm done with my valentines."
me: "who do you sound like?"
grace: "i don't sound like anyone."
me: "you don't think that sounds like something mom would say."
grace: "EEIIWWWW!"

i LOVE butter and anything with a buttery taste (especially toffee). i love to sample the cookie dough when it's just butter and sugar mixed together. my dog seems to share this love. he once ate a whole stick of butter that i left on our dining room table and he loves to go after the butter wrappers in the garbage. evan too seems to have this love for butter. he snuck this stick and i found him happily eating it. i like the pix that shows how sad he was when i took it away.




some bonus quotes from extended family:

my brother jim: "out of all your kids, lily just cracks me up the most. she's just so far left of center."

my niece, maddie: "mom, what happens when you die?"
wendy (my sister): "dying is when you go to heaven and never come back."
maddie: "mom, will you die?"
wendy: "not likely anytime soon and don't worry, if anything were to happen to mom and dad, you would go and live with aunt april."
about a week later, my niece goes up to my sister and says: "mom, will you die before i'm a teenager so i can live with aunt april?"
(obviuosly, she is too young to fully understand death. ironically, this niece hated me when she was a baby. she took forever to warm up to me and would often cry when i got loud or animated.)
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

herb said...

Those quotes are priceless. Elizabeth and I need to do a better job at remembering them. A blog sure helps jotting them down quickly.

Butter? I love butter and plenty of it on my rolls, but that's a bit too much for even my taste....

natalie said...

Kids say the funniest things sometimes! Lily is fantastic!

Scrappycook said...

Those quotes are hysterical! I have caught Calvin doing the same thing with the butter - yuck!

Tice said...

I love the pictures of the butter lover. Kids really do provide fabulous entertainment sometimes.

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...

I enjoy reading Hinckley quotables so much, please keep posting them!

Ken, Chelsea and Isaac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

I loved all the quotes, I am envious that you write them down. One day, I hope to meet your kids in person.

laina kay said...

Sooo funny! I'll have to try the Valentine "when I get..." sometime! Very clever.

Cha-Cha shrieks, "That's me, that's me!" every time she sees Sharpay from High School Musical. At least your Lily is a real connection!

I. LOVE. BUTTER. Have you seen these ads? My husband calls me a Butterton. I dip my pretzels in butter, slather pancakes and banana bread in butter. You name it, it's better with butter on it! My 2-year old niece sneaks sticks of butter out of the fridge, too. My sister had to put a lock on the fridge for that reason alone!

What a sweet anecdote about your niece! You must be a really fun auntie!

Kayla said...

April, you make me laugh so hard. I love your family and all your 'isms'. I think I should keep better track of ours.

Amanda said...

You could write a book with what Lily says! Love that she calls Evan "Evan Jean"!! Those butter pictures are priceless. I think I'd rather have Everett eat it than smear in on furntiure though.

Cute that your neice wants to live with you!!

Funny that Grace doesn't want to sounds like you. Tell her we all turn into our Mom's someday!

Love this insight into the Hinckley house!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Ok...your whole family is a riot. I wish I lived in CT again...I'd come over daily just for amusement!

And as for the butter...I LOVE it too! I pretended a stick of it was a candy bar when I was younger...half way through I realized it wasn't quite the same, but I love it still!

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."