Sunday, May 13, 2007

happy mother's day


evan was born on mother's day last year. lily was blessed on mother's day (i'm mostly positive). this year, gracie was baptized on mother's day. there are some perks when most of your children were born in the spring. my emotions were high this morning when i thought about all this. i've had such wonderful memories on mother's day (even the labor and delivery part - it was such a nice delivery - i mean that seriously - i had him quickly, no epidural, felt great and had him early in the morning so i could enjoy mother's day. it was a great experience). i don't have anything poetic or earthshattering to say here. i only want to share with you the gratitude in my heart in that i have been blessed to be a mom. i have seen friends struggle to have children and it makes me realize how blessed i am. i love my children and they truly bring such joy to my hearts. they will grow too fast and i hope i remember to be grateful for these moments that i have with them.

i've also thought today of the legacy of mothers that i have. my dad's sister and i have some striking similarities. i didn't see her that often growing up. it makes me wonder what traits or talents i might have inherited from my ancestors; i'm grateful for my lineage. i'm also greatful for the three remarkable mothers that i now have - i am blessed with a mom, stepmother and mother-in-law. they have each taught me in so many different ways and i'm grateful for the varied and plentiful service they have rendered on my behalf. i've also been influenced by many aunts and grandmothers who were strong women and truly encouraged me to not let anything hold me back. thank you all for your loving influence.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Bowes said...

Cute pictures! Happy mother day.

quotables

"is that lily holding baby lily?" -lily's response when i showed her a picture of gracie holding her when lily was a baby.

"drama class is actually a lot of fun." -gracie (this is only humorous in that grace seemed surprised by how much she likes drama class. this from my child who we refer to as "a drama queen" when she is not around.)

"mom, you can go with my teacher and i'll stay home with japie and evan. daddy can go to work, and i'll be the mommy" -lily, in response to learning that she would be going to preschool next year instead of this year.

"mom, if you don't get rid of that smell soon, you're going to have to buy a new car." -gracie when it took me a couple of days to clean out my car after returning from a road trip.

"mommy, they have dress-ups for you!" -lily while walking by the prom dress section at macy's.

"i said the prayer "last"-erday." -lily's replacement word for "yesterday."